Meet Steven C. Schmidt, MD
Appleton Plastic & Cosmetic Surgeon
Steven C. Schmidt, MD, has been a board certified plastic surgeon since 1998. He has been in the Northeast Wisconsin area since 2004, and joined The Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery in May of 2012.
Dr. Schmidt entered medical school thinking that he wanted to specialize in internal medicine, so he decided to have surgery be one of his earlier clinical rotations in his third year of medical school so that he would have some experience under his belt before taking his desired rotation. He remembers very well seeing his first plastic surgical procedure on his first day of clinical rotations – one that combined a cosmetic surgery on the face as well as a not so glamorous surgery on the same patient’s foot. This wide diversity of plastic surgery intrigued him and none of the other specialties to which he was exposed during the rest of medical school held nearly as much interest for him as did plastic surgery.
Dr. Schmidt enjoys the breadth of plastic surgery, including cosmetic surgeries that enhance a patient’s sense of form and beauty, reconstructive surgeries to repair defects left by disease or other surgery to cure disease as well as surgeries to treat and reconstruct common and, at times, not so common tumors of the skin and other tissues. One area of particular interest is in helping women with breast cancer recover from the surgery needed to treat their cancer.
“I enjoy not only the feeling of having accomplished a nice reconstruction, but even more so, the reward of getting to know patients and of helping them feel confident, whole and hopeful about their lives after cancer treatment.” – Dr. Schmidt.
Dr. Schmidt enjoys spending time with his wife and two children as well as endurance cycling, triathlons and photography.
- 1998 American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Medical School: Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri
- Undergraduate: Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri
- Residency: Integrated General Surgery/Plastic Surgery : The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Hand Fellowship: The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Wisconsin Medical Society
- Faculty Appointments: Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health