Is Otoplasty Right For Me?
Ideal child candidates for ear surgery fit the following criteria:
- Healthy without a life-threatening illness or untreated chronic ear infections.
- Cooperative and follow instructions well.
- Able to communicate their feelings and don’t object when surgery is discussed.
- Ideal teenager and adult candidates for ear surgery fit the following criteria:
Healthy without a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing.
- Have a positive outlook and specific goals for ear surgery.
What Should I Expect Right After Otoplasty?
- Bandages or dressings will be applied to keep the surgical site clean, protect it from trauma and to support the new position of the ear during initial healing.
- Discomfort immediately following ear surgery is normal and can be controlled with pain medication.
- There may be an itchy feeling under bandages, but it is essential that bandages remain intact and are not removed, for any reason.
- Failure to do so may result in loss of some of the correction and may require a secondary surgery.
- A return to light, normal activity is possible as soon as the day following surgery, as long as the ears are protected.
- Children should refrain from rough or aggressive play until healing is complete.
- The dressing will be removed by your surgeon or nurse 5-7 days following ear surgery.
- The surgical wound will be cleansed and any external stitches will be removed.
- Healing will continue for several weeks and incision lines will slowly refine and fade.
- Follow your plastic surgeon’s instructions and attend follow-up visits as scheduled.
What Results Should I Expect Over Time?
- The outcome of the surgery to correct protruding ears is present almost immediately.
- Children quickly accept their improved appearance and a positive change in self-esteem can rapidly develop.
- It may take several months for swelling to completely subside and incision lines to refine and fade. During this time, proper skin care and diligent sun protection are essential. In addition, the ears should be protected from extreme cold or injury.
- The results of more extensive ear surgery and reconstruction may appear in phases and feelings of fulfillment will increase as the ears assume their new shape.
Contact us today to learn if otoplasty is right for you.
"Having worked in the medical field for 25 years, I know I was looking for a surgeon with experience and expertise to perform my facelift and laser procedures. I found this and more with Dr. Van Ye and the wonderful staff at The Center for Aesthetic and Plastic Surgery. My questions and concerns were thoroughly and honestly answered by Dr. Van Ye, leaving me feeling confident and well informed. The nurses and support staff, while professional, were warm, caring and always accessible. I am so very pleased with the results of my procedures. The issues I had with my appearance for so long are gone. Thank you Dr. Van Ye, I am so grateful!"
Error: No users set. Please visit the plugin's settings page to select a user account or add one to the shortcode - user="username".